Saturday, March 10, 2012

Birdy the Mighty: Decode



For the longest time Netflix kept telling me that Birdy the Mighty: Decode was in my top 10 selection for things I should watch. Along side things like a documentary called Battle for Haiti and some B movie called Today's Special, I was rather skeptical, especially since it looked like some sort of ecchi fan service show. Eventually, though, I gave in since I've been a fan of anime for quite awhile, and I figured "Why not? I can always watch something else if it turns out to be lame."

The first few episodes weren't anything particularly special, running after random space criminals with alien ice skate boots. Seemed like a corny show that I probably wouldn't get into. Nonetheless, I kept watching, and slowly but surely the show took off and bloomed into something I didn't expect. Smiles, tears, fun, and drama - this show really has a lot to offer. Not only that, but the further into the show you get the more complexity they add to the storyline. Little things are shown here and there that don't seem to mean too much other than adding a dash of color to the pasts of characters, but this show takes it one step further and decides to take that color to a massive canvas spanning the entire series.

It was a pleasant surprise I didn't expect from something that started out so corny and predictable with some random tentacle alien that probably belonged in a crappy hentai meant more for eye candy than anything else. This show is definitely an interesting grab bag of a story that will get you to fall in love with the characters the more you get to know them. On top of that, the show seems to have multiple climaxes throughout to keep it fresh and interesting.

Not a Death Note level complex anime to be sure, but most certainly worth the time to watch it. I'd give it an A- overall. Go check it out!

1 comment: