Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vincent and the Doctor

Have you ever seen Doctor Who? Is it something you enjoy? Honestly, I didn't get into it until the new 2005 series started. I liked the older 1963 show off and on, but something about the reboot just drew me in that didn't happen with the older one. Today I was watching some reruns of the show because it's really the kind of series that you can "experience" far more than one time with it still feeling fresh a year later.

Today's episode was called Vincent and the Doctor, the Vincent referred to in the title being Vincent van Gogh. This episode reminded me of something that I really like about Doctor Who - the show can make you laugh, feel happy, feel anger, feel sadness, and in my case, even make me cry. It details why the Doctor goes back to meet Vincent as well as a short look into how Vincent may have acted and viewed the world around him. Quite a beautiful episode out of the many intense story driven ones, only touching ever so slightly on what happened in the previous episode since that one had some very heavy material in it.

If you've never watched Doctor Who before, or you have watched the original in the past but weren't quite so interested; I highly recommend giving the 2005 version a first or second chance. Given enough time to get into the show and feel for the characters it can take you on an emotional roller coaster of beauty, intense story, and fantastic whimsy characters throughout that you won't soon forget the joy of.

No comments:

Post a Comment